For Sale, But Is It Safe?
From gel fuel to Chinese-made lighters, countless consumers are severely injured each year from products that have found their way into the marketplace untested and unproven.
From gel fuel to Chinese-made lighters, countless consumers are severely injured each year from products that have found their way into the marketplace untested and unproven. Last Memorial Day weekend, a Central Florida family was enjoying a relaxing evening at home when tragically the fire pot that was burning on their patio table exploded, sending balls of fire into the air. Sadly, two people were badly burned by the gel fuel explosion. One victim, who was burned over 60% of his body, later died at a local burn center. The other victim, his wife, survived but sustained burns over approximately 40% of her body. According to the Consumer Product Safety Commission a total of 76 incidents that resulted in 2 deaths, occurred last year due to the untested and dangerous gel fuel product.
In 2008, a 55 year year old Houston man died when his “MK” Chinese-made lighter malfunctioned and exploded. According to the Consumer Product Safety Commission approximately 917 cigarette lighters malfunction each year resulting in a medical emergency. Clearly more needs to be done to protect consumers.
Our firm is working with other victim’s representatives across the country to identify how dangerous products like gel fuel and the “MK” Chinese-made lighters could make its way into people’s homes without being tested and who should be responsible. For the victims of these catastrophes, the civil justice system is their only way to get answers and restore their lives, emotionally and financially. As we forge ahead in the regulatory and legal communities, we will continue to write blogs and produce YouTube videos
in a grassroots efforts to make consumers aware of potentially dangerous products.
You can find Samuel King on Google+