Watch What You Heat Most of the time, grease fires begin because the stove or cook-top is left unattended. Maybe the phone rings, or the dryer buzzes; whatever the reason may be, grease fires happen when a person gets distracted from watching the stove. If you are cooking something on the stove, be attentive.
Remove Items Away From the Heat Source Many times other items found in a kitchen such a paper towel an oven mitt or a wooden spoon are left too close to heat source and ignite. Be sure to keep the cooktop free and clear of ancillary objects.
Know What To Do This is by far the most important. Contrary to what you think, you should NEVER put water on a grease fire! Pouring water on it will actually make things worse. If it is a small grease fire, simply place a cooking lid over the pan and turn off the stovetop. This will smother the fire. Leave the pan covered until everything has completely cooled. If a small grease fire begins in the oven, turn off the heat and keep the door closed. In the case of a large grease fire, just get out of the house as quickly as possible and close any doors behind you in an effort to contain the fire. Call 911 immediately.
Watch our Cooking Safety video.
Please be sure to visit our website each month for more burn and fire safety tips.