Hurricane Season Preparedness
Hurricane Season is approaching. It runs from June 1 – November 30. And we want you to take time now to be prepared. It is a wise time to prepare your emergency kit and get the essentials you may need. As some things are quickly out of stock in the stores and delivery times are extended, it is important to prepare early this year. Go ahead and make sure you have these things on hand!
In the Kitchen:
- an emergency food supply, which includes a 3 day supply of nonperishables and other dietary needs
- paper products
- manual can opener
- bottled water (enough for 1 gallon per person or pet for each day)
- charcoal or gas for your grill
- prescription medicine and over the counter medicines
- pet food and supplies
- baby food and supplies
For the House:
- extra batteries (AA and AAA and any other specialty batteries like for hearing aids)
- generator and extension cord
- battery power banks
- phone chargers and car chargers
- weather radio
- bleach for cleaning afterward
And a Few Other Tips:
- Make sure your gas tanks are full.
- Have a family plan in case of severe weather or need for evacuation.
- Gather important documents (such as insurance cards, vaccine records, birth certificates, passports, drivers licenses, and other care plans or important certificates).
- Have at least some cash in case of power outages.
- Check your smoke alarms and carbon monoxide monitors.
- Make sure your electronics are connected to surge protectors.
- Trim trees and clean up hedges.
Grab these supplies and follow these tips to be prepared this hurricane season! Orange County has also provided emergency information if you need shelter information, medical services, storm recovery assistance, and more.